Delicious, nutritious, and loaded with many incredible health benefits, It’s time for all of us to “Beet it!” These Perfectly Picked Beets allow you to enjoy the fall harvest all year long.
- 2 pounds whole beets
- 1 cup water
- To taste salt
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 quart size preserving jar
- 1 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the beets in a small roasting pan. Add the water to the pan and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Place in the oven and cook until the beets are fork tender, about 1 hour.
- 2 Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes, reserving the liquid. Remove the skins from the beets and slice 1/4 inch thick. Season the beets with salt.
- 3 In a saucepan, heat the reserved beet juice and vinegar, over medium heat. Sterilize 1 quart-size preserving jar in boiling water and keep hot. Soak the lid in the boiling water and keep hot.
- 4 Pack the jar tightly with the beets then pour its hot liquid over the beets, adding enough liquid to come within 1/2-inch of the top. With a clean, damp towel, wipe the rim of the jar to make sure it is perfectly clean then fit it with a hot lid.
- 5 Tightly screw metal ring on jar then process in a hot-water bath for 15 minutes. Using tongs, remove jar and place on a towel and let slowly cool. Test seal, tighten ring and store in a cool, dry place. Let age for 2 weeks before eating.
- 6 NOTE: If seal does not secure, place jar in refrigerator and consume within one month.
- Calories 138
- Sodium 224
- Potassium 824
- Carbohydrates 24
- Fiber 4
- Sugar 19
- Protein 4