Pheasant perfectly cooked to a nice golden brown, with glazed carrots, and almond pesto Brussels sprouts.
Get adventurous and try this simple to make and delectable wild game recipe for yourself by following along with Shawn Bailey, host of Game On, in his latest episode.
- 1 pheasant
- 1 bag of carrots
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts
- Cooking rock salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Orange zest
- 1 Cut pheasant in half straight down breast and crack back bone so it lays flat.
- 2 Place cooking rock salt on bird for 20-25 minutes. Dab water as you go to take away moisture, this will help make skin crispy as it cooks.
- 3 Wipe off cooking rock salt.
- 4 Place oil in cast iron skillet, place skillet on high heat until it smokes.
- 5 Place pheasant breast down, (bone side add spice) and then place Himalayan salt block or brick on top of pheasant.
- 6 Place in oven for about 15-20 min on 425 degrees.
- 7 Take out, drain and flip, do not put brick back on pheasant.
- 8 Place back in oven for an additional 8 minutes or until top is a nice golden brown and crusty.
- 9 Place carrots in skillet with tablespoon of butter, tablespoon brown sugar, let cook down, add orange zest on top, cook for an additional 5 minutes or until tender, then serve.
- 10 Take 1 lb of Brussels sprouts cleaned and cut in half and place in pan with 1/2 cup of water cover with lid and allow to steam from 3 to 5 min.
- 11 Drain and place back on flame, add desired amount of pesto, stir and heat 2-3 minutes. Serve hot.