These breakfast baskets must be prepped one day prior to serving, but the taste and presentation make it all worth it!
Why Try? Pomegranates are trendy, and they’re one of the healthiest foods you can eat–loaded with antioxidants.
This recipe courtesy of Plugra.
- 1/4 cup Plugra unsalted butter softened, plus extra for buttering pan
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 cup walnuts halves, toasted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling out the dough
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses (see purchase options, below)
- 16 oz. loaf of frozen white bread dough, thawed according to package directions
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons sanding sugar
- 1 DAY 1
- 2 In a food processor, pulse walnuts to the texture of coarse cornmeal.
- 3 In a medium bowl, combine softened 1/4 cup butter, sugar, salt, flour, pomegranate molasses and chopped walnuts.
- 4 Cut bread dough in half. On a floured surface, roll one dough half into a 12-inch square.
- 5 Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of an 8- inch pie pan. Then grease the pan as well as the parchment.
- 6 Place rolled dough in greased pie pan allowing the dough to drape over sides.
- 7 Cut the remaining dough half into 16 equal pieces. In a medium bowl, combine dough pieces with the butter mixture, gently tossing until dough is evenly coated.
- 8 Place dough pieces in pie pan and sprinkle blueberries over the top. Draw up corners of rolled dough, enclosing blueberry filling inside, resembling a picnic basket with a cloth tied over the top.
- 9 Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 10 DAY 2
- 11 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 12 In a small bowl, combine melted 2 tablespoons butter and pomegranate molasses, brush exterior of bread basket and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- 13 Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. If necessary, tent with foil for the last 10 minutes to prevent over browning.
- 14 Cool on a rack for 10 minutes before cutting into 8 wedges. Serve warm.