Lean pork and fresh apples complement each other beautifully in this succulent dish.
Recipe courtesy of http://www.recipegoldmine.com and National Pork Board.
- 4 pork chops, 1 1/2-inch thick
- 2 teaspoons crushed dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large tart apples, cored, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 Pat chops dry.
- 2 In small bowl mix together thyme, pepper and salt; season both sides of chops; set aside.
- 3 In large heavy skillet melt the butter with the sugar over moderately high heat; add the apples and sauté for 30 to 40 minutes, until apples begin to brown. Turn apples, and cook for 5 minutes more, until they are golden brown and the sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- 4 Heat another heavy skillet over medium-high heat, brush with a little vegetable oil. Add chops and brown on onside, about 4 minutes; turn and brown other side, 4 minutes more. Keep turning chops every couple of minutes until just done (internal temperature will reach 155°F). Total cooking time for chops will be around 14 to 18 minutes.
- 5 Serve chops with apples.
- 6 Wine recommendation: Serve with a chilled dry Riesling or a Gewurztraminer.