A great go-to soup with leeks, potatoes and topped with crispy bacon. Very few ingredients and absolutely delicious.
- 8 strips bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 leeks, cleaned, trimmed, chopped
- 3 large baking potatoes, cleaned, peeled, cut into pieces
- Kosher salt
- Coarse ground pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper (optional)
- 48 ounces chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1 In a large dutch oven, cook bacon over low-medium heat to render fat, remove from pan before crisp.
- 2 Add leeks, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper into bacon fat, saute until soft.
- 3 Add potatoes.
- 4 Pour in chicken broth and simmer, uncovered, for approximately 30 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- 5 While soup is cooking finish crisping bacon in a skillet or microwave.
- 6 Using an immersion blender, carefully puree soup until smooth.
- 7 Add cream and blend well.
- 8 Serve immediately with crisp bacon on top.