Toasted pepitas or pumpkin seeds add nutty crunch and flavor to this hearty brunch dish. It’s perfect for an autumn or holiday morning.
Recipe courtesy of McCormick
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian or French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (10 cups)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds), divided
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Sicilian Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Nutmeg, Ground
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook sausage, bell peppers, onion and garlic in large skillet on medium-high heat 10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking sausage into small pieces with back of spoon. Drain.
- 2 Spoon sausage mixture into large bowl. Add bread cubes, cheese and 1/4 cup of the pepitas; toss well. Mix evaporated milk, pumpkin, eggs, sea salt and nutmeg in medium bowl. Pour over bread mixture; toss gently to moisten bread cubes. Pour into greased 13x9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup pepitas.
- 3 Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with additional nutmeg, if desired. Serve warm.