This Pumpkin Caramel Crunch Pie is a perfect fall dessert. It’s a spin on the classic pumpkin pie from food blogger Christopher Mohs, the founder of Pumpernickel&Rye, a website devoted to great food that’s easy to make.
One of my favorite things about Christopher is the way he takes a traditional favorite, like pumpkin pie, and add his own creative spin. His version adds some unexpected crunch in the oh-so-good cream-cheese icing with the addition of caramelized pumpkin seeds.
He also recognizes that there are some great convenience products, like pre-made pie shells, that taste great and allow you to focus on what’s inside.
According to MobileCuisine.com, the first instance found of a modern pumpkin pie recipe was in 1796 in a book called American Cookery by Amelia Simmons. It was the first cookbook to feature recipes with food native to the Americas.
The recipe below calls for a Crumble Spice, which was created by Mohs and available on Amazon. He says you can also make your own by combining 3 parts of ground cinnamon with 1 part ground cloves.
- 1 ready-made pie dough
- 2 extra large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Crumble Spice
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 pound butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Crumble Spice
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
Caramelized Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2 Place pie dough in a deep pie dish, crimp the edges, and poke the bottom several times with a fork.
- 3 In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs then add sugar and Crumble Spice whisking until well combined. Add Pumpkin Puree and whisk well until combined, followed by the evaporated milk for a final mix to fully combine the mixture.
- 4 Place the pie tin onto a baking sheet (it makes getting it into and out of the oven easier) and pour the mixture into the crust within the pie pan.
- 5 Place in the oven and bake 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350°F and bake an additional 20-30 minutes or until the pie has set (it should have just a slight wobble, but be fairly firm).
- 6 Once baking is done, remove to a wire rack to cool for 2 hours.
- 1 Mix together cream cheese, butter, vanilla and confectioners’ sugar. You can either pipe the icing or spread with a spatula. Dust with Crumble Spice and place in the refrigerator to firm up the icing.
Caramelized Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 In a small saucepan over medium heat, caramelize a tablespoon of sugar until it's rich reddish-brown in color.
- 2 Stir the melted parts of the sugar towards the middle while avoiding over-stirring, which can turn the mixture dry and crumbly. Once the sugar is dark and fragrant, add the last tablespoon of butter and stir quickly until it has melted and the sauce is smooth.
- 3 Add the pumpkin seeds and stir until evenly coated in sauce. Transfer the seeds to a plate lined with parchment paper so they cool and harden.
- 4 Sprinkle the caramelized seeds over the icing and serve.