This recipe for Pumpkin Scones with Crumble Spice Icing comes to us from Christopher Mohs, food blogger, recipe developer and founder of Pumpernickel&Rye, a website devoted to great food that is quick and easy to make. He’s putting us in a fall mood with all the wonderful spice aromas that fill the kitchen during this time of year.
The recipe below calls for a Crumble Spice Artisan Blend, which was created by Mohs and available on Amazon. He says you can also make your own by combining 3 parts of ground cinnamon with 1 part ground cloves.
Enjoy these delicious and enticing Pumpkin Scones with Crumble Spice Icing!
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, canned
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 extra large eggs
- 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons Crumble Spice Artisan Blend (see above suggestion to make your own)
- 3/4 cup butter, cold, cubed
For the icing
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon Crumble Spice Artisan Blend (see above suggestion for making your own)
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
For the Pumpkin Scones
- 1 In a small bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, heavy cream and eggs. Set aside.
- 2 In a stand mixer bowl with the paddle attachment, mix together all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder and spices).
- 3 Next mix in cold cubed butter and mix until it forms pea-size crumbles (you want the butter to be intact as this will help in the baking process to make the scones amazing). Slowly add the pumpkin mixture until just combined.
- 4 Divide the dough in half and flour your counter top or butcher block and form half the dough into a rectangle approximately 5-6 inches by 12-13 inches or so (keeping it rough will add to the look of the final scones). The dough will be roughly 1/2-inch thick.
- 5 Cut the dough lengthwise down the middle and then in thirds. Then cut diagonally to make approximately 12 triangles. Repeat with other half of dough.
- 6 Place each triangle on a parchment lined baking sheet spaced about 1-2 inches apart (approximately 6 per 9×13 baking sheet). Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes. Bake each batch until all the scones have been baked.
- 7 When done, remove from pan and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
For the icing
- 1 Whisk together powdered sugar and Crumble Spice. Add heavy cream a little at a time until you get the desired consistency (slightly more runny then cake frosting).
- 2 Dip the tops of the cooled down scones in the icing and set on parchment paper to set.
- 3 For an extra fancy touch you can pipe the icing onto the scones by filling a plastic bag with the icing, cutting a small corner off and drizzling over the scones.