The engagement Ring worn by Kate Middleton is rich with history and grace, symbolizing the eternal love of Diana for her son William and William for his future Queen. So this pie is rich with history of English walnuts and dates, graced by a meringue crust and is topped the deep color of blueberries and encircled with the lightness of whip cream and diamond dust.
It was a Best of Show winner at the 2011 APC Crisco National Pie Championships.
Recipe by Bryan Ehrenholm courtesy of the American Pie Council.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of vanilla wafers (crushed with rolling pin)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup of dried English dates (chopped)
- 1 cup of English walnuts (chopped)
- 2 pints of fresh blueberries
- TOPPING: 2 pins of fresh blueberries
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup of cornstarch
- 1/2 cups of water
- Diamond dust for garnish (Michael’s crafts carries it.)
- Or large kids diamond rings for the surrounding diamonds.
- 1 Beat egg whites until fluffy, gradually beat in sugar, fold in wafers, baking powder, dates and walnuts. Pour into a greased pie pan. Bake at 300ºF for 30 min. Cool completely. Center will slightly cave in. This is ok.
- 2 TOPPING:In small pan put 1 1/2 cups of water, 1 cups of sugar, 1/3 cup of corn starch, bring to a boil until thick like syrup. Cool to room temp, mixture should be like a glaze. Toss mixture with blueberries on top of pie leaving about ½ inch around the edge. Finish pie with whip topping around edge and garnish with sprinkles or large diamonds. This pie is like eating divinity with blueberries and whip cream.
- 4 This pie does not have a traditional crust. The meringue will form the crust.