These Lemon-Poppy Seed Sones are perfect on a spring morning or especially fun if you’re creating your own Royal Wedding watch party.
They’re simple enough to make for breakfast and yet decadent and delicious enough to impress your guests.
Recipe and image courtesy of the National Honey Board™.
For the Scones
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Topping
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 In medium bowl, combine sour cream, honey, and lemon zest; mix well.
- 2 In large bowl, combine flour, poppy seed, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add honey mixture; stir just until moistened.
- 3 Shape dough into 9-inch circle (approx. 5/8 inch thick). Cut into 8 wedges. Place on greased baking sheet, at least 1 inch apart.
- 4 Bake at 375°F 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- 5 Mix together 1 T of cream and 1 T of honey and brush the tops of the scones. Sprinkle the raw sugar evenly over the scones.