Italian panini gets a bold American remake in this hearty roast beef sandwich flavored with sage-horseradish mayonnaise and served with a rye whiskey-infused au jus.
Recipe courtesy of McCormick
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/3 cup rye whiskey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Gourmet Collection Sage, Rubbed, divided
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 8 slices hearty rye bread with seeds (1/2-inch thick)
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red bell peppers, drained and sliced
- 2 cups arugula leaves
- 1 Preheat electric panini maker according to manufacturer's directions. Meanwhile, mix beef broth, rye whiskey and 1 teaspoon of the sage in medium saucepan. Bring to simmer on medium heat. Set aside, keeping au jus warm while preparing sandwiches.
- 2 Mix mayonnaise, horseradish and remaining 1/2 teaspoon sage in small bowl. Lightly brush 1 side of each slice of bread with olive oil. Place bread, oiled side down, on a clean work surface. Spread top of each slice with 1 tablespoon of the sage mayonnaise. Top 4 of the bread slices with roast beef, red bell peppers and arugula. Top each with second slice of bread, oiled side up.
- 3 Place 2 sandwiches at a time on the preheated panini maker. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until bread is crisp and dark golden brown. Cut each sandwich in half. Serve with au jus for dipping.
- 4 TIP: Rye whiskey is an American whiskey with a flavor similar to a smooth, rich bourbon.