Chefs are serving up comfort food with a modern flair, and this is one example. Root beer adds sweet and spicy flavors to the braising liquid for short ribs and toasted sesame seed finishes the dish with delicate crunch and nuttiness.
Recipe courtesy of McCormick®.
This recipe is the result of flavor studies showing new trends in pairings. Read more about how the flavor forecast pairings are chosen.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: 652 Calories, Fat 48g, Protein 27g, Carbohydrates 28g, Cholesterol 105mg, Sodium 492mg, Fiber 4g
- 3 pounds boneless beef short ribs, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) micro-brewed root beer
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 McCormick® Gourmet Collection™ Bay Leaves
- 3 teaspoons McCormick® Gourmet Collection™ Toasted Sesame Seed or 3 teaspoons McCormick® Gourmet Collection™ Sesame Seed, toasted, divided
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection™ Sicilian Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection™ Coarse Grind Black Pepper
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 Coat short ribs with flour. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in 5-quart Dutch oven orovenproof saucepot on medium-high heat. Add 1/2 of the short ribs; cook 5 to 10minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove from Dutch oven. Repeat withremaining short ribs.
- 2 Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in Dutch oven on medium heat. Add garlic, celery,onions and parsnips; cook and stir 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add root beer,water, bouillon cubes, tomato paste, vinegar, bay leaves, 2 teaspoons of the sesameseed, sea salt and black pepper; bring to boil, stirring to loosen browned bits inbottom of Dutch oven. Return short ribs to Dutch oven, stirring to partially covershort ribs in liquid. Cover.
- 3 Braise in preheated 300°F oven 2 hours. Add sweet potatoes; cover and braise 1hour longer or until short ribs and sweet potatoes are tender. Skim fat from liquid.Divide short ribs and vegetables among serving bowls. Top each with sauce.Sprinkle short ribs evenly with remaining 1 teaspoon sesame seed.