Two varieties of stew–summer, and winter–to appease all of your seasonal needs!
Recipe and image provided by the National Onion Association.
- 1 lb. yellow onions, trimmed, cut into narrow edges
- 1 jar tomato-basil pasta sauce (1 lb. or 8-10 oz. jar)
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless, chicken breast, diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup minced parsley (optional)
Summer Vegetable Selection:
- 1 1/2 lbs. assorted bell peppers, trimmed, seeded and cubed
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 lb. zucchini, sliced
Winter Vegetable Selection:
- 1 lb. yellow squash, pared, seeded, and cubed
- 1 lb. yams or sweet potatoes, pared and cubed
- 1/2 lb. carrots, pared and sliced
- 1 In a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker, combine onions, pasta sauce, broth, oregano, and the vegetable selection of choice. Add chicken, if desired.
- 2 Stir the ingredients until mixed well and coated in sauce. Cover slow cooker with lid and turn to low setting for 5 to 7 hours or until tender.
- 3 If desired, add parsley just before serving.