The bumper crop of peppers – hot, sweet and mild – calls for recipes that make good use of this incredible crop, like this Smoky Pepper sandwich, which you can create using your own farm-fresh peppers!
- 2 or more peppers, your favorite kind
- To drizzle olive oil
- 2 slices bread, rustic or Italian
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 slice Muenster or Colby cheese
- To taste salt and pepper
- 1 Preheat broiler. Wash then cut pepper in half lengthwise, discarding stem and seeds, if desired.
- 2 Place pepper halves on a broiler pan, skin side up then drizzle with olive oil and place under broiler for 3-5 minutes or until deeply charred.
- 3 Remove from broiler pan to a plate then place bread slices on broiler pan and place cheese slice on one of the slices and place under broiler and cook just until cheese melts.
- 4 Remove from broiler and place bread slices on plate. Spread mayonnaise on the slice of bread that does not have the cheese on it then stack pepper on top of it, creating an even layer of peppers.
- 5 Season with salt and pepper, to taste, cut sandwich in half, then serve immediately.
- Calories 341
- Fat 18
- Sodium 519
- Potassium 562
- Carbohydrates 30
- Fiber 6
- Sugar 13
- Protein 11