A twist on a classic favorite!
Molten Lava Cakes are super impressive for guests who may not have had them before, but what’s even more impressive is a S’mores Molten Lava Cake.
Creating these decadent cakes can be a little tricky, timing wise, but this recipe makes it easy to create your own chocolate-filled desserts. It’s courtesy of Hershey’s Kitchen in partnership with Taste & Tell.
For more delicious chocolate recipes in this series, click here!
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Hershey's Cocoa, for dusting
- 2 (8 oz total) Hershey's Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Bars
- 4 large egg yolks
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup Hershey's S'mores Baking Pieces
- 2/3 cup marshmallow cream
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 Preheat the oven to 400°F. Use the 1 tablespoon of butter to coat 8 custard cups. Dust the cups with the cocoa, tapping out any excess. Place on a large baking sheet.
- 2 Combine the remaining butter and the chocolate baking bars in a small saucepan and set over low heat. Stir until melted and smooth.
- 3 In a medium bowl, combine the egg yolks, eggs and sugar and beat until pale and doubled in volume. This should take about 3-5 minutes with an electric mixer.
- 4 Fold the chocolate mixture into the eggs. Add the flour and mix until smooth. Fill each of the prepared custard cups halfway full with the mixture. Add 1 tablespoon of the HERSHEY'S S'mores Baking Pieces to the middle of each cup, then continue pouring the batter into the cups, filling each cup evenly.
- 5 Bake the cakes for 13-15 minutes, or until puffed in the center and set around the sides. If you test them with a toothpick, some of the batter will still show. Once cooked, let the cakes sit for 5 minutes.
- 6 While the cakes are cooling, combine the marshmallow creme and the heavy cream and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Mix until smooth.
- 7 Run a small, sharp knife around the sides of the cups. Place a plate over the cup, then flip it over, inverting and releasing the cake.
- 8 Pour some of the marshmallow sauce over the top of each cake, and then top each cake with an additional tablespoon of the HERSHEY'S S'mores Baking Pieces. Serve warm.
Tips for Success:
- 1 Make sure your custard cups are greased well. I put a small amount of butter in each cup, then used a paper towel to spread the butter completely over the inside of the cup. Use HERSHEY'S Cocoa to coat the cups after the butter has been spread, and then tap out the excess.
- 2 Put the custard cups on a baking sheet. Not only does this make it easier to transfer the cups to and from the oven, it also helps the cups not tip while in the oven.
- 3 Timing is everything! To know if you've cooked the cakes long enough, but not too long, a tester inserted into the center should still come out with some batter on it. The cake should puff a bit, and the edges and the top will be browned.
- 4 Make sure you give the cakes time to rest for the outsides to set up. Plan on 5 minutes rest time before you turn them out onto a plate.
- 5 These cakes can be made ahead of time! Make the cakes and place in the custard cups, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a day or two. When it's time to bake, add an extra minute to the time to account for the cold batter.