This recipe is courtesy of Smucker’s®. The ever-popular Thumbprint Cookies are fun to make no matter how old (or young) you are!
Also check out the Smucker’s online store.
Pillsbury is a trademark of The Pillsbury Company, used under license.
- 2 cups PILLSBURY® All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup or 1 stick CRISCO® 0 Grams Trans Fat (per serving) Shortening
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup SMUCKER'S® Preserves or Jam, any flavor
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°. Spray two baking sheets with Crisco No-Stick Spray.
- 2 In a large mixing bowl, beat brown sugar, Crisco, egg yolks, vanilla and salt. Slowly add the flour and stir until well blended.
- 3 In a small bowl, using a fork, beat egg whites until foamy. Put pecans in a separate bowl.
- 4 Using a teaspoon, scoop out dough and shape into 1-inch balls. Dip each dough ball into the egg whites, then roll in the pecans and place on a prepared baking sheet. Using a teaspoon or your thumb, make a round indentation in the top of each cookie, being sure not to make a hole all the way through the dough.
- 5 Bake cookies for 8 minutes (they will not be fully baked); remove from oven. Using a teaspoon or other small spoon, scoop the preserves into the indentation of each cookie. Return cookies to oven to bake another 6-9 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven; cool on a wire rack.