Sour cream fudge frosting is simple to make and there are options to add a twist of flavor, like peppermint, tangerine or mocha.
This recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Library Series, Cakes, Cupcakes & Cheesecakes, by Sarah Tenaglia (Time-Life Books, 1995).
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 In a medium-size, heavy saucepan over low heat, combine the butter and cream. Heat, stirring frequently, until the butter melts. Add the chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let cool to barely lukewarm, about 8 minutes.
- 2 Whisk in the sour cream until fully combined. Then whisk in the confectioners' sugar. Let stand until thick enough to spread, about 10 minutes. If the frosting becomes too stiff to spread, rewarm briefly over low heat and whisk again until smooth.
- 3 For mocha flavor: Add 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder or regular coffee powder to the butter and cream.
- 4 For peppermint flavor: Whisk 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract into the frosting before adding the confectioners' sugar.
- 5 For tangerine flavor: Whisk 1 tablespoon grated tangerine zest into the frosting before adding the confectioners' sugar Makes about 2 2/3 cups.