Green Chili Stew Recipe – SPAMIGO Green Chili Stew would be appropriate to serve during St. Patrick’s Day or any other day you want something a little different.
This recipe courtesy of SPAM® and Richard Mikesell, 1998 Grand Prize Winner.
- 10 medium tomatillos (about 3/4 pound), husks removed, rinsed and chopped
- 7 (4.25-ounce) jars CHI-CHI'S® Diced Green Chilies, divided
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded, diced and divided
- 1 chopped large onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 4 HERB-OX® Vegetable Flavored Bouillon or chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (12-ounce) can SPAM® Classic, diced
- 1 (7-ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 cup diced hash-brown potatoes, thawed, or 1 cup diced cooked potatoes
- 1 In large saucepan, combine the tomatillos, 6 jars diced green chilies, 2 chopped jalapenos, onion, bell pepper, garlic, bouillon, water, celery salt and ground cumin. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for about 30 minutes or until tomatillos are tender. Cool mixture slightly.
- 2 Pour stew into blender or work bowl of food processor. Blend or process until ingredients are smooth.
- 3 Return green chili mixture to large saucepan. Add SPAM®, corn, potatoes and the remaining green chilies and diced jalapeno. Heat mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
- 4 Ladle stew into bowls and garnish, as desired. Makes about 10 cups.