A sundae during winter? Yup! But not any old sundae, a sundae where the ice cream melts and swims with a sweet sauce of scented apples and crunchy nuts. Try this creative dessert to switch up your next get together!
- 2 cups diced apple
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup roasted nuts of your choice, roughly chopped *
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 scoops frozen vanilla yogurt
- 1 Combine apple and lemon juice and toss well; set aside.
- 2 Place juice in a large skillet and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Stir in apples, half the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer about 5 minutes, or until apples are just tender. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- 3 In another skillet, add chestnuts, oatmeal, butter and sugar, stir well and cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes, or until sugar has melted and mixture is well coated. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 4 Place 1 scoop frozen yogurt to a serving dish, pour half the apple mixture over the top, followed by half the chestnut mixture. Repeat and serve immediately.
- 5 *Place nuts in a skillet over medium high heat. Cook until you can smell them and they are starting to darken, stirring almost constantly. Many use pecans because of their intense aroma when roasting, but almonds, macadamia and cashews are great as well. Even boiled peanuts.