Spice up your traditional chicken sandwich, literally!
This Spicy Chicken Sandwich is hand battered and seasoned, served with a creamy and delicious homemade coleslaw.
This recipe is courtesy of Preppy Kitchen via Sutter Home.
- 3 chicken breasts, medium-large
- 6 brioche sandwich buns
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, heaping
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salts
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 purple cabbage
- 1/2 green cabbage
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons buttermilk ranch
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 pinch Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 splash white wine vinegar
Ingredients for Assembling:
- 2-4 jalapeños
- 2 habañero jalapeños
- 3 avocados, large
Spicy Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hot sauce
For the Chicken:
- 1 Wash and trim any fat or unwanted pieces off of each chicken breast. One chicken breast should be big enough for two sandwiches.
- 2 Add chili powder, garlic powder, salt, white pepper, paprika and cumin to a medium bowl. Give it a quick whisk.
- 3 Dip each chicken piece into the rub. Move it around so that the chicken is evenly covered.
- 4 In a large bowl, pour buttermilk and add chicken to marinate.
- 5 Cover the bowl with plastic and transfer to the refrigerator for about 2 hours or even overnight. This step will ensure that the chicken is super moist!
For the Batter:
- 1 In a large bowl, combine flour, paprika, salt, garlic, ground pepper and cayenne pepper. Give it a whisk.
- 2 Heat a pot of vegetable oil to 350 degrees F over medium high heat. Roll out a paper towel station.
- 3 Coat each piece of chicken in the flour batter mixture.
- 4 Add up to 4 pieces to the pot to fry.
- 5 Cook for about 6 minutes.
- 6 Transfer to the paper towels to cool.
For the Coleslaw:
- 1 Chop up about ⅓ of the purple cabbage and ⅓ of the regular cabbage.
- 2 In a medium large bowl, add sour cream, ranch, caraway seeds, salt, sugar, lemon zest from ½ a lemon, green onions and chives. Add lemon juice and a splash of white wine vinegar. Give it a whisk.
- 3 Add in the cabbage slaw. Toss with tongs.
For the Assembly:
- 1 In a small bowl, add honey mustard, honey and hot sauce. Whisk until combined.
- 2 Chop the peppers into thin slices. Slice the avocados.
- 3 Add coleslaw, chicken, spicy sauce, pepper and avocados to each brioche bun.
- 4 Serve with a glass of Sutter Home Rosé.