Simple and easy, yet savory and delicious, this Steak and Ale Pie recipe is perfect for nights when multitasking is a must! With few ingredients needed, time is the only factor. So, simply combine, cook, and let the ingredients simmer for a couple hours to bring out that rich flavor of dark ale, steak, fresh garlic, and onion. Delicious!
Want to see how it’s done? We have the video right here!
- 1 lb stewing steak, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 3/4 tablespoon beef dripping
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tiny tips star anise
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 cup dark ale
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 oxo cube, or beef bouillon cube
- Black pepper
- 1/2 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Heat the dripping over a medium-high heat in a heavy saucepan.
- 2 Add the onions with a pinch of salt and cook for a few minutes.
- 3 Add the beef and cook to brown for a few minutes.
- 4 Add the garlic, bay, star anise, lots of black pepper and tomato puree.
- 5 Cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- 6 Add the ale, the oxo cube, and the water.
- 7 Bring to a simmer and cook on a low heat for 2 hours. The surface should bubble, but only just barely.
- 8 When the sauce is thick and the meat tender, remove from the heat and cool thoroughly.
- 9 When the filling is cool, preheat the oven to 200C.
- 10 Cut around the pie dishes to form the pastry lids.
- 11 Fill 2 individual pie dishes with the filling.
- 12 Cover the filling with the pastry and make 3 slashes for the steam to escape.
- 13 Brush lightly with beaten egg and bake in the center of the preheated oven for about 45 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Do not be tempted to take it out too early!
- 14 Serve the pies from the oven with gravy, mashed potatoes, and vegetables.