This recipe for Stuffed Petrale Sole is shared by the culinary team at Salt Creek Grille in Princeton. The Grille is a neighborhood-restaurant concept tailored to the local community. There are locations on both coasts, in California: Dana Point, El Segundo and Valencia, and in New Jersey: Rumson and Princeton.
The restaurants offer a scratch-cooking experience with unique mesquite-inspired menu items. All ingredients are made in-house, with meats being hand-cut and items responsibly sourced. Handcrafted is the keyword here, along with attention to service and the total hospitality experience. Wines featured in the restaurants are from both boutique cellars and well-known brands.
We’re thrilled the team is sharing this recipe for Stuffed Petrale Sole. Petrale is a type of flounder that’s round or oval in shape. It’s an excellent source of low-fat protein, calcium and other nutrients.
- 2 (6-ounce) sole filets
- 2 ounces crab and artichoke mixture
- 4 ounces citrus brown rice
- 4 ounces broccolini
- 2 ounces tomato caper butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 pound blue crab meat
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 8 ounces artichoke hearts, chopped
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 cup remoulade
- To taste salt and pepper
Caper Butter Sauce
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups champagne
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 2-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 2 ounces tomatoes, diced
- 2 ounces capers
- 1 thyme sprig
- To taste salt and white pepper
- 1 Cook brown rice in steamer for 15 minutes until tender; place in mixing bowl. Add olive oil, chopped parsley and lemon zest. Salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 Steam broccolini, then place in sauté pan with garlic butter and white wine. Braise for 10 minutes.
- 3 Lay out sole filets flat on cutting board. Place crab and artichoke mixture on the thin side of filet then begin to roll filet over the mixture until completely making a roll.
- 4 Drizzle stuffed sole with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on cedar plank. Roast in oven for 8-10 minutes at 475 degrees F.
- 5 Place citrus rice on plate and top with broccolini. Drizzle tomato caper butter over fish. Garnish with greens.