Sugar Cookies Recipe – Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe to use for regular cookies or to cut out and decorate with your favorite child!
This recipe is part of The Food Channel’s Virtual Cookie Exchange.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk (reserve egg white)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 Sift flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and nutmeg and set aside.
- 2 Cream shortening and add sugar gradually. Add egg and egg yolk to creamed mixture and beat until fluffy.
- 3 Combine sour cream, vanilla and lemon extract. Add to creamed mixture. Add dry ingredients that had been set aside. Chill for 1/2 hour.
- 4 Roll out onto slightly floured board. Cut with cookie cutter. Brush with unbeaten egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- 5 Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes (depending on thickness of cookies). May cool and ice with decorative frosting.