This decadent, allergen-free dessert is so good that you won’t believe how healthy it is! It successfully removes the egg, dairy, and flour from a classic custard, and in doing so makes it extremely easy to make a tasty dessert. Chia seeds, which swell up and form a gel that thickens the mousse, are the main ingredient. Not only are they providing the texture in this dish, they also pack a healthy punch: loads of fiber and omega 3s reside in the little seeds.
- Substitute vanilla almond milk with unsweetened almond milk.
- Add 1/4 cup coconut cream.
- Add more sweetener, to taste: honey, agave, or maple syrup.
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoons tart cherry juice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon maca powder (optional)
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (optional)
- 1 In 1-qt jar, mix milk, vanilla, and chia seeds together.
- 2 Shake mixture to ensure there are no lumps.
- 3 Open jar and add cocoa powder.
- 4 Close the jar and again shake to thoroughly mix.
- 5 Store in refrigerator overnight.
- 6 In the morning, the mousse will be thick and creamy from the chia seeds.
- 7 If you want a lighter, frothier texture, use a whisk to aerate it before serving.
- 8 Serve cold in small bowls with fresh fruit.