To enhance the natural sugar in pumpkin and squash, the best way to cook them is high-heat roasting. You can use the puree in recipes or serve as a vegetable accompaniment without any adornment or enriched with butter or olive oil. Follow these simple steps for any recipe requiring a puree.
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Nutrition Facts per Serving:
Calories: 566 Fat, Total: 24g Carbohydrates, Total: 84g
Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 141mg Protein: 10g
Fiber: 9g % Cal. from Fat: 38% % Cal. from Carbs: 59%
Tip: To enhance the natural sugar in pumpkin and squash, the best way to cook them is high-heat roasting. You can use the puree in recipes or serve as a vegetable accompaniment without any adornment or enriched with butter or olive oil. Follow these simple steps for any recipe requiring a puree.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, washed
- 1 small butternut squash, halved, seeded
- 1 small sugar pumpkin, halved, seeded
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- Twelve 6-inch-square fresh lasagna noodles, or 12 extra-wide dry lasagna noodles
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat 2-quart souffle dish with olive oil. Cover 2 large baking sheets with foil. Lay potatoes on 1 foil-lined baking sheet. Lay pumpkin and squash cut side down on second foil-lined baking sheet. Roast until potatoes, squash and pumpkin are tender, about 40 minutes. Cool slightly.
- 2 Peel potatoes, squash and pumpkin. Working in batches, transfer potatoes, squash and pumpkin to food processor and puree until smooth. Transfer mixture to bowl; stir to blend. Season to taste with salt. Transfer puree to prepared dish; smooth top. Bake until vegetable puree is completely heated through, about 15 minutes.
- 3 Meanwhile, puree olives and 3 tablespoons olive oil in clean food processor. Mix in rosemary. Transfer olive puree to large bowl. Mix in melted butter. Set aside.
- 4 Drop lasagna noodles into large pot of boiling salted water and cook until al dente. Drain. Toss lasagna noodles with olive puree.
- 5 Spoon mounds of pureed vegetables onto 6 individual heated plates. Drape 2 lasagna noodles over each serving. Garnish with cheese and serve immediately.