Shrimp tacos by any other name are Tacos de Camaron! This recipe is courtesy of Mercadito Restaurant in Chicago.
Check out the Margarita trend!
- Roasted Garlic Puree:
- 1/2 cup garlic, peeled and whole
- Oil, enough to cover garlic
- Shrimp Marinade:
- 1/2 cup chipotle puree
- 1/4 cup roasted garlic puree
- 2 tablespoons blended oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red onion, diced
- 5 ounces marinated shrimp, roughly chopped (recipe follows)
- 2 tablespoons chipotle puree
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- 4 avocado slices
- 1 Make roasted garlic puree:
- 2 In a pot, put whole garlic and cover with oil about 2-inches above garlic.
- 3 Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer stirring once in a while to make sure garlic does not stick.
- 4 When garlic turns brown, strain oil and reserve, put roasted garlic in blender until smooth, adding oil if needed to make a paste like mixture.
- 6 *If there is extra garlic puree left, it can be refrigerated for about 1 week.
- 8 Marinate shrimp:
- 9 In bowl, mix chipotle and roasted garlic puree.
- 10 Mix in shrimp and marinade until ready to cook.
- 12 Make tacos:
- 13 Heat oil in a skillet. Lightly brown garlic then add red onion and sauté 30 seconds. Add shrimp. Let cook one minute.
- 14 Add chipotle puree and lemon juice then stir in butter and salt to taste. Balance sweetness/saltiness/acidity.
- 15 Place shrimp on tortillas and top with avocado slices, one slice per taco.