Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Tender Bread Pudding Recipe. There’s a luscious layer of custard at the bottom of this delicate pudding. It’s really good served cold, so there’s no last minute fuss.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 440 Fat, Total: 19g Carbohydrates, Total: 59g
Cholesterol: 204mg Sodium: 295mg Protein: 11g
Fiber: 1g % Cal. from Fat: 39% % Cal. from Carbs: 54%
Tip: Why are the openings of spice jars so small? We wondered too until we discovered these oval shaped measuring spoons that let you easily reach into the smallest spice jars. These spoons come in handy when measuring the cinnamon and nutmeg for this irresistible bread pudding.
- 4 cups half and half
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse (kosher) salt
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 slices soft thin white sandwich bread (such as Wonder), crusts cut off
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup dark raisins
- 1 Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- 2 Butter an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish. Place dish in large roasting pan. Stir half and half, sugar and salt in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar and salt dissolve, about 1 minute (mixture should still be cool). Whisk eggs in large bowl just until blended. Gradually but gently whisk in cream mixture so very little foam is created. Whisk in vanilla; set aside.
- 3 Arrange 4 bread slices in prepared dish. Spread evenly with 1/4 cup preserves. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, then raisins. Top with remaining 4 bread slices. Spread with remaining apricot preserves. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon and nutmeg. Strain cream-egg mixture over bread in dish. Let stand 15 minutes for bread to absorb custard, occasionally pushing bread down into custard. Pour enough barely warm water into roasting pan to come half way up sides of dish.
- 4 Bake pudding 20 minutes. Add several ice cubes to water in pan around pudding. Continue to bake until pudding is just set and small sharp knife inserted into center comes out almost clean, about 30 minutes. Remove roasting pan from oven. Let pudding stand in water bath 30 minutes. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, at least 4 hours. Cover and keep refrigerated up to 2 days.