These Coconut Pandan Cookies are Southeast-Asian inspired and represent one example of the growing Accessible Ethnic Trend in The Food Channel’s 2019 Top Food Trends report.
Pandan is a tropical plant widely used as a spice in South and Southeast Asian cooking. It imparts a signature green coloring to the cookie batter, making it perfect for holiday cookies. —Editor
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pandan extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2 Cream butter and sugar together in medium-size pan. Add pandan extract and continue to stir.
- 3 Add baking soda and salt, mixing well to maintain creamy texture. Add egg and mix together.
- 4 Continue stirring while adding flour, a small amount at a time. Continue beating until color of batter is uniform and consistency is smooth. The batter should be a bright green color.
- 5 Scoop out 1-inch size spoonfuls of dough and place 3-inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- 6 Bake for 10 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool. Frost and serve.
- 1 Combine all ingredients and mix well. Set aside.