This is one of a series of cocktail recipes from the recent Mixology Match held in Washington, D.C., hosted by Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum and The Cocktail Nation to benefit Children of Restaurant Employees (CORE). Our friends at Nightclub & Bar are proud partners of CORE and we thank them for sharing these winning recipes with our audience!
Condensed from original event coverage by Kelly Magyarics. Recipe courtesy Amy Hosseinnian, Bartender, Buffalo & Bergen. Photo courtesy of Carlos Martinez.
- 2 ounces Bayou Silver Rum
- 1 ounce Lime Juice
- 1 ounce Orange Syrup (Recipe Below)
- 10 Mint Leaves
- Sparkling Agua Fresca de Tamarindo (Recipe Below)
- Champagne, to Float
- Orange Peel Flag and Mint Sprig, for Garnish
- 2 cups Water
- 2 cups Sugar
- Peels from 3 Oranges
Sparkling Agua Fresca de Tamarindo
- 8 Tamarind Pods, Peeled and Deveined
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 4 cups Water
- 1 In a shaker, combine rum, lime juice, orange juice and mint leaves.
- 2 Add ice, shake until chilled, and double strain into a Collins glass over fresh ice.
- 3 Fill with Aqua Fresca, float Champagne on top, and garnish with the orange flag and mint sprig.
For the Orange Syrup
- 1 Combine water, sugar and peels from oranges in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil until the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally.
- 2 Remove the mixture from heat and steep 10 minutes or until desired orange flavor is achieved. Strain out solids and store in a glass container in refrigerator for up to a month.
For Sparkling Agua Fresca
- 1 Combine peeled and deveined dry tamarind pods, water and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring mixture to boil, remove from heat and steep for 10 minutes.
- 2 Mash pods into saucepan, removing and discarding seeds. Strain pulp into pitcher, add the 4 additional cups of water and stir. Pour mixture into a charged soda siphon and chill until ready.