This chunky home-style tomato soup is loaded with the flavors of rich roasted tomatoes, basil and Parmesan cheese. Pair it up with our White Cheddar Grilled Cheese sandwich for a hearty soup & sandwich meal.
Why Try? You’ll never again settle for canned tomato soup.
- 2 (28 oz.) cans diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2 Strain diced tomatoes, reserving juice. Combine diced tomatoes, olive oil, salt and black pepper in bowl; gently toss to blend. Place on baking sheet lined with foil and roast uncovered for 20 minutes; reserve.
- 3 Melt butter in heavy soup pot, add onion and celery and cook over medium-low heat until onions are golden and tender.
- 4 Add flour and stir to blend; cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 5 Add chicken broth, reserved tomatoes and juice, basil and sugar, stir until fully blended.
- 6 Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- 7 Add Parmesan cheese and stir to blend. Serve garnished with additional Parmesan, if desired.