Liguria is known for having the best pesto in all of Italy. I’ve been told it is the soil that gives the basil grown in this area its unique flavor! Naturally, you find many pesto dishes that come from Liguria but this one happens to be my all time favorite. Whenever your locally grown beans come into season do take advantage and pair them with your own home made pesto in this quick and easy pasta dish! Here’s a little tip; make lots of pesto, use what you need and divide the remainder into family size servings freeze in baggies. You’ll never have to buy pesto in a jar again!
This is a recipe from Chat ‘n Dish show host, K.C. Quaretti. View episodes of the show now on The Food Channel.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves smashed
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1/2-3/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound of your favorite pasta, penne is a good choice
- 1 ½ cups fresh green beans cut into one inch pieces
- 1 Large potato peeled and cubed into ½-inch pieces
- 1 Put pasta water on to boil.
- 2 In a blender combine basil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan and 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- 3 With blender running drizzle remaining olive oil into blender and blend until you have a paste.
- 4 When water comes to a boil add the pasta, green beans and potatoes.
- 5 Cook until pasta, green beans and potatoes are done. Usually about 15 minutes for penne.
- 6 Drain pasta and toss with about 4 tablespoons pesto, just enough to lightly coat the pasta, green beans and potatoes.
- 7 Serve with additional Parmesan.