Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Not for the faint-hearted, this flavorful corn bread has a triple dose of chiles, roasted chopped poblanos, chopped chipotles (smoked jalapenos, available canned in adobo sauce in many supermarkets) and grated jalapeno jack cheese. You can substitute extra-sharp cheddar cheese for the jalapeno jack cheese and canned drained chopped chilies for the poblanos if you want the bread to be milder and less potent. Wrap the loaves in clear cellophane wrap, tie them with raffia and attach a couple of dried small chilies to the raffia bow and watch them disappear at the bake sale.
Makes 5 mini loaves
Facts per Serving
Calories: 203 Fat, Total: 7g Carbohydrates, Total: 29g
Cholesterol: 60mg Sodium: 680mg Protein: 6g
Fiber: 2g % Cal. from Fat: 31% % Cal. from Carbs: 57%
- 3 large fresh poblano chilies (about 14 ounces total)
- 20 dried corn husks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups coarsely grated jalapeno jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds (optional)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons chopped chipotle chilies
- 1 Char chilies over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides. Enclose in paper bag; let stand 10 minutes. Peel, seed and chop chilies.
- 2 Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- 3 Butter 5 mini loaf pans, each approximately 5 3/4 x 3 1/4 x 2 inches. Rinse corn husks under warm water to soften; pat dry with paper towels (husks need not be completely dry). Press corn husks out flat and line each loaf pan with 4 corn husks, 2 lengthwise and 2 crosswise, extending over sides by about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Press husks into pans to adhere.
- 4 Whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl to blend. Stir in grated cheese and cumin seeds, if desired. Whisk buttermilk, eggs and melted butter in medium bowl to blend. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until blended. Stir in green onions, poblano chilies and chipotle chilies. Divide batter among corn husk-lined pans.
- 5 Bake corn breads until puffed, golden brown on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 37 minutes (corn husks will get golden brown).
- 6 Transfer breads to rack and cool completely. (Can be made ahead. Let stand at room temperature up to 8 hours or wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then in foil and place in resealable plastic bags and freeze up to 1 week. Thaw at room temperature. Rewarm in 350ºF oven for about 10 minutes, if desired.)