Try this savory breakfast skillet with seasoned eggs cooked to perfection and topped with heirloom tomatoes and sweet onions. We think that after taking a bite of this skillet you will agree this breakfast recipe is certainly worthy of your morning routine.
- If omitting the bacon, use a couple grinds of sea salt as well as pepper.
- Substitute turkey bacon or meatless bacon bits if desired.
- Replace tomatoes with your favorite Salsa
- Add a few dollops of Pesto (from Season 1 Episode 2).
For more great Guru Tips and an inside look at how to create this morning masterpiece, head over to watch the full video here.
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 slices smoked bacon, cooked and chopped (optional)
- 3-4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, slivered
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 To cook bacon: *If using bacon, pre-cook slices in the microwave.
- 2 Lay bacon on a paper towel on a microwave-safe plate and cover with another paper towel. Allot 1 minute microwave time per slice (2 slices/2 minutes).
- 3 Remove, blot excess fat, and chop into bits.
- 4 Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat.
- 5 Add onion, and sauté until lightly brown (about 3 minutes). Drain off excess oil and add (optional) cooked bacon bits.
- 6 Add chopped tomatoes and simmer, stirring occasionally, until they have released their juices, about 4-5 minutes.
- 7 Make 4 wells in the tomato mixture with a spoon and crack an egg into each well.
- 8 Add a grind or two of fresh pepper.
- 9 Cover the pan with a glass lid, and simmer until egg whites are firm and yolks are starting to set (about 2 minutes).
- 10 Remove lid, sprinkle with cheese, and cover again to melt.
- 11 Sprinkle with fresh basil and scoop onto individual plates.
- 12 Optional: serve with good quality sliced rustic toast.