A creamy and cheesy risotto side dish made with onions, crumbled Gorgonzola and fresh, finely grated Parmesan cheese.
Recipe and image provided by the National Onion Association.
- 1 large or 2 small onions (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth*
- 3/4 cup whole milk or light cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or grated Swiss (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Optional Presentation Suggestions:
- 4 radicchio lettuce cups
- 4 servings steamed asparagus or green beans, cut diagonally
- 1/2 red bell pepper, slivered
- Chopped red onion
- Sliced tomatoes
- 1 Chop onions. Heat oil in large saucepan. Add rice and cook, stirring over medium heat about 3 minutes or until fragrant and toasted.
- 2 Stir in broth and onion and bring slowly to boil. Cover, reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes or until tender, stirring 2-3 times.
- 3 Meanwhile, heat milk with gorgonzola cheese, stirring until cheese is softened. Add milk-gorgonzola mixture and Parmesan to risotto.
- 4 The consistency should be slightly soupy; if too dry, stir in more broth or milk and heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately as a side dish.
- 5 To serve as a main dish, follow the presentation suggestions below.
For Presentation Suggestions
- 1 arrange radicchio cups on plates. Portion risotto into cups. Lean asparagus or green beans against risotto and sprinkle with red pepper and red onion as desired. Garnish with tomatoes.