Shawn Bailey from Game On! is digging into his family recipe book to give you the very best BBQ burger possible. Don’t expect a basic beef burger from Shawn, because this burger uses venison and pulled rabbit with homemade barbecue sauce to make a unique taste that will make you wonder why you’ve never had a venison burger before.
Need a few more burger ideas? Shawn Bailey has you covered with his four-part burger series. Check out this recipe on his latest episode of Game On!
- 1 rabbit
- 1 tablespoon Allspice
- 6 onions
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound venison
- 3 slices smoked bacon
- 3 leeks with leaves (can use scallions)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 Cut up rabbit.
- 2 Salt and pepper to taste, set aside.
- 3 Roughly slice 6 onions.
- 4 In dutch oven pot with lid, put 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the 6 onions and rabbit.
- 5 Add 1 cup water.
- 6 Add 1 tablespoon Allspice.
- 7 Cook for 1-1hr 30 minutes on medium heat, stir occasionally so it doesn’t stick. Add more water if needed.
- 8 While rabbit cooks prepare burgers.
- 9 Place one pound of venison in a bowl.
- 10 Finely dice three slices smoked bacon.
- 11 Finely chop 3 leeks or (optional scallions), use leaves for extra flavor.
- 12 Add 1 egg.
- 13 Salt and pepper to taste.
- 14 Mix well and make patties.
- 15 Place burgers on grill or stop top griddle. Coat with cooking oil/spray to avoid sticking.
- 16 Flip burgers only once. The burger will get a grill line midway up the patty; this lets you know they are ready to flip.
- 17 When burgers are done, set aside, cover with foil to keep warm and allow to rest.
- 18 Remove rabbit pieces from dutch oven, shred with fork, meat should fall off of bone and be nice and tender.
- 19 Cut roll or bun, place venison burger on bun, drizzle with BBQ sauce, add shredded rabbit, drizzle more BBQ sauce, place top on bun.