A great way to serve a refreshing summer appetizer! Recipe courtesy of Florida Department of Agriculture.
- 1/2 medium-sized watermelon, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 32 cubes)
- 32 large shrimp, cleaned, poached and chilled
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar (or mild-flavored vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 8 6-inch bamboo skewers
- 1 In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar and the peanut butter until completely blended.
- 2 Add in the garlic, ginger and soy sauce until fully combined.
- 3 Taste sauce and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- 4 Pour most of the dressing over the shrimp, reserving some sauce for dipping.
- 5 Chill marinated shrimp for 1 hour.
- 6 To assemble, alternate shrimp, watermelon cubes and torn basil leaves on 8 skewers.
- 7 Serve skewers with leftover sauce.