Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Affogato, which means “drowning in” when translated into English, is a classic Italian dessert that transforms espresso and gelato into a whole new taste sensation. Gelato or ice cream is scooped into a clear heatproof mug, then hot espresso is poured over and “drowns” the gelato, melting it ever so slightly. In this recipe, white chocolate-coffee ice cream is paired with the hot espresso, making this Italian ice cream float even more decadent.
Cooking.com Tip: How can you make this rich drink even more decadent? Top with white chocolate curls and a sprinkling of ground cinnamon. White chocolate is softer than bittersweet or semisweet chocolate which makes slicing curls easy with a v-slicer mandoline. Not only does this versatile kitchen tool slice, julienne and chop vegetables and fruit, but when set at the thinnest setting, it makes perfect white chocolate curls.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup espresso coffee beans
- 8 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 6 ounces good-quality white chocolate (such as Bernard C, Lindt, Callebaut or Ghirardelli), chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Cognac (optional)
- 3/4 cup freshly brewed espresso
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground espresso coffee beans
- White chocolate curls (optional)
- Ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 Bring milk, 1 1/2 cups cream and 1 cup coffee beans to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Cover and let steep 30 minutes. Strain into medium bowl.
- 2 Whisk yolks, sugar and corn syrup in large metal bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in hot cream mixture. Return mixture to same saucepan and stir over medium-low heat until custard thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 7 minutes (do not boil).
- 3 Strain custard into sieve set over another large bowl. Add 6 ounces chocolate; whisk until melted. Mix in remaining 1/2 cup cream and Cognac, if desired. Chill custard until cold, about 1 hour.
- 4 Process custard in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- 5 Transfer ice cream to container and freeze until firm, at least 6 hours or overnight.
- 6 Scoop 3/4 cup ice cream into each of 6 cappuccino cups. Pour 2 tablespoons hot espresso or very strong coffee over each. Sprinkle with ground espresso. Garnish with white chocolate curls and sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
- 7 NOTE: Espresso may be subtituted with 3/4 cup very strong hot coffee made from 1 1/4 cups water and 3/4 cup ground espresso coffee beans.