This recipe for Wild Rice and Water Chestnut Stuffing with Sausage is the second Thanksgiving stuffing recipe shared by Chef Philip Jones, the 6th-generation president of Jones Dairy Farm.
For this stuffing that’s anything but traditional, chef adds the wholesome flavor of all-natural pork sausage to a base of wild rice. The result is a savory, delicious, unique, gluten-free stuffing or side dish.
See Chef Jones’ recipe for Sourdough, Apple and Cranberry Stuffing here.
- 1 (12 ounce) Jones Dairy Farm All-Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1-1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup water chestnuts, whole
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 6 cups wild rice, cooked
- To taste salt and pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 Cook sausage in skillet over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; crumble as it cooks. Drain and set aside.
- 2 Heat grape seed oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots and celery and sauté 3-5 minutes, or until soft. Add water chestnuts and cranberries; mix well and heat through. Add cooked sausage; mix well. Add cooked wild rice, stir to combine. Cook until all ingredients are heated through; season with salt and pepper.
- 3 Top stuffing with 1-2 tablespoons butter; toss to combine. Serve stuffing immediately as a side dish or stuff into turkey (or other bird) as you would traditional stuffing.