Zesty Lime-Fish Tacos Recipe – This terrific taco recipe was a winner in the Dinner Made Easy Category of the 44th Pillsbury Bake-Off. The Dinner Made Easy™ Category are recipes that are easy to prepare main dishes such as pizza, calzones, sandwiches, fold-overs, casseroles, chilis, soups or savory pies. The fish taco recipe was entered by Kellie White, of St. Louis, MO, who won a $5,000 category prize at the 44th Contest (2010).
Recipe courtesy of Pillsbury
Read our feature story to learn how you can enter your recipe in the 45th Pillsbury Bake-Off.
- 1 lb tilapia fillets (about 4)
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (2 to 3 limes)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 can (16.3 ounces) Pillsbury® Grands!® Homestyle refrigerated
- buttermilk biscuits (8 biscuits)
- 6 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (from 7-oz can),
- finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® salt
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® pepper
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 Heat oven to 200°F. Cut each fish fillet lengthwise into 4 strips. In shallow glass dish, mix 7 tablespoons of the lime juice and garlic. Add fish; turn to coat. Let stand while preparing biscuits.
- 2 On work surface, mix flour and cornmeal. Separate dough into 8 biscuits. Press both sides of each biscuit into flour mixture, then press or roll into 6- to 7-inch round.
- 3 In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add 2 biscuit rounds; cook about 1 minute on each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Place on cookie sheet; keep warm in oven. Cook remaining rounds, adding 1 1/2 tablespoons oil to skillet for each batch. Wipe skillet clean.
- 4 Heat same skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish and lime juice mixture, chiles, salt and pepper; cook about 5 minutes, turning fish once, until fish flakes easily with fork.
- 5 In small bowl, mix salsa, sour cream and remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice.
- 6 Using slotted spoon, remove fish and divide evenly among biscuit rounds. Top each with cabbage and 1 to 2 tablespoons salsa mixture. Fold biscuit rounds in half over filling. Serve with any remaining salsa mixture. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.