Great for winter chill! Zucchini soup is very tasty and this vegetable gives the soup an attractive green color. Zucchini or courgette is a summer squash and can be dark or light green. In a culinary context, zucchini is treated as a vegetable; it is usually cooked and presented as a savory dish or accompaniment. Botanically, however, zucchini is a fruit.
Our recipe keeps it as pure as possible, and this soup is pretty amazing, even chilled the next day. It’s a thin soup, but if you prefer a thicker, more substantial soup, add more zucchini and/or less stock or even cream.
This soup can be made ahead and refrigerated.
- 2 to 3 zucchini, medium size, quartered
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1+ teaspoon salt
- Piment d'espelette
- Harissa oil
- 1 In a stock pot, melt the butter then sauté the onions until translucent.
- 2 Season with salt then add zucchini.
- 3 Cook for a few minutes, stirring, and then add the stock.
- 4 Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer and cover.
- 5 Simmer until zucchini are tender, about 15 minutes.
- 6 Let cool 15 minutes.
- 7 Transfer to a blender, and blend until smooth and ultra-creamy.
- 8 You may need to purée in two batches.
- 9 Taste and adjust seasoning.
- 10 Garnish with a mound of arugula, piment d'espelette, and harissa oil.