Here are the simple steps to make perfect fish everytime. Skinless salmon fillets are recommended for this, but any filleted fish would work.
1. Start with a hot grill that has been cleaned and oiled
2. Skin and pat fish dry
3. Baste one side with olive oil or a light coating of mayonnaise
4. Add salt and pepper to taste
5. Lay oiled side down on the hot grill and cook for about 1 1/2 minutes for rare (longer for fish that is more well done)
6. Turn fish, leaving it still oiled side down, about 90 degrees, so that you get those “x” grill marks, and cook for another 1 1/2 minutes
7. Now baste the top of the fish with olive oil or a light coating of mayonnaise, and add salt and pepper
8. Flip the fish fillet over and repeat your grill time, moving it 90 degrees half way through cooking; using your food thermometer, the internal temperature of cooked salmon should be 120 degrees for medium rare, 135 for medium, and 150 for medium well
9. Plate and serve
Leave the lid up since you aren’t trying to smoke the fish, and be sure your grill is very hot. This will prevent the fish from sticking and will give you a beautifully crisp exterior and a tender fish inside.
Check out the additional fish recipes below.