Back to School – With International Flair
Our friends at Sandwich America celebrate the nation’s sandwich heritage. They shine a light on old favorites and contemporary sensations in every state, with input from website visitors. They’ve designated the fourth Tuesday of every month as Sandwich Night in America.
With this being September, the focus is on back-to-school with a sandwich twist. Time is short, schedules are frenetic and it’s often hard to find quality time with the kids on home turf. Engaging kids in meal preparation provides an opportunity for fun, education and, well, more fun.
To celebrate back-to-school with some international flair, Sandwich America partnered with food writer and photographer, Sara Welch, and her blog Dinner at the Zoo, to create something fun, yet simple, for Sandwich Night.
With the help of her two children, Welch created an awesome Aussie Lamb Burger with Greek Yogurt Sauce that you can recreate for your crew!
Aussie Greek Lamb Burger
Ingredients – Burgers
- 1 pound Aussie Ground Lamb
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Ingredients – Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For Serving: buns, lettuce, tomato, onion
- In medium bowl, combine Aussie lamb, lemon zest, dried oregano, garlic, and salt and pepper; form into 4 patties
- Grill for 4-5 minutes per side
- In a small bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, cucumber, dill, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper
- Place the burgers on the bottom buns, top with yogurt sauce, lettuce, tomato and onion
- Serve immediately