The leafy green tops of carrots are nothing to be afraid of, they are earthy in flavor and taste surprisingly similar to carrots! We blended our leafy tops with garlic, Parmesan, toasted almonds, honey and red wine vinegar for this delicate carrot top pesto.
This recipe could serve four as a main vegetarian dish, or eight as a side dish paired with grilled shrimp, chicken or fish.
Short on carrot tops? Add fresh parsley to equal 1 cup lightly-packed carrot tops.
Want to see how it’s done? We have the video right here!
- 1 cup carrot fronds, large stems removed
- 2 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan, grated
- 3 tablespoons almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Olive oil, as needed for consistency approx. 1-1/2 cups
- 1 pound angel hair pasta, cooked per package instructions
- 1/2 cup shaved carrots, blanched
- Parmesan cheese, as needed
- 1 In a large pot prepare pasta according to directions, in the last minute of cooking add in the shaved carrots and then drain.
- 2 In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, add carrot tops, garlic, Parmesan, almonds, honey, vinegar, salt and pepper and blend.
- 3 Slowly pour the olive oil in with machine still running until blended to a pesto-like consistency.
- 4 Adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- 5 Toss the hot pasta and carrots with pesto, top with Parmesan cheese.