The Jewish New Year is upon us and there is nothing quite like the tantalizing aroma of a fresh yeast cake!
This Apple Bubble Ring is filled with apples and pecans. A warning: one ball leads to another, then another…
Click here to see more Jewish New Year recipes!
This recipe and image are courtesy of kosher.com.
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 cup warm soy milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons + 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2-2 and 1/2 cups white flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dough enhancer
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/8 cup margarine, melted
For the Icing
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 and 1/2 teaspoons hot water or warm soy milk
- 1 In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm soy milk. Add two tablespoons oil, egg, two tablespoons sugar, salt, three cups of flour, and dough enhancer; beat until smooth.
- 2 Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Knead until smooth and elastic, about six to eight minutes.
- 3 Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about one hour. Punch dough down and then divide in half.
- 4 Cut each half into 15–18 pieces. Flatten each piece into a small circle.
- 5 Combine the apple, pecans, cinnamon, and remaining sugar; place one teaspoonful in the center of each circle. Pinch the edges together, forming a ball. Seal edges. Dip in melted margarine.
- 6 In a greased 10-inch tube pan, place 15–18 balls seam-side down; sprinkle with three tablespoons apple mixture. Layer with remaining balls; sprinkle evenly with remaining apple mixture. (Don’t be concerned if there are holes or if the dough is not even — it rises and looks beautiful). Save remaining margarine and drizzle over ring before baking, or discard.
- 7 Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 40 minutes. A few minutes before the end, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius). Bake for 35–40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 20 minutes before removing from pan.
- 8 Cool completely.
- 9 Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over ring. This freezes very well.