Yes, I already know. There is no such thing as Bailey’s Irish Whiskey. This beautifully scented, Irish cake is, however, enhanced by Baileys and has a hint of Irish Whiskey, both in the cake and on ‘top’.
You can, however, substitute a few drops of rum extract in the milk below or just leave out any hint of alcohol, and its’ taste, altogether.
The curdled milk is a great way of adding buttermilk flavor without the added expense, while giving this upside down cake perfect flavor and moistness for the Holidays.
- 1/4 cup whole milk, half-and-half or light cream
- 1/2 cup Irish Apple Whiskey or Irish Apple Liqueur, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, divided
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and wedged 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 In a small bowl, whisk together milk, 1/4 cup whiskey, and lemon juice and let sit 30 minutes to curdle while preparing rest of recipe.
- 2 Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a 9-inch round cake pan over low heat.
- 3 Using a wooden spoon, stir in the brown sugar and cook, stirring for about 3 minutes until smooth and bubbling.
- 4 Remove pan from heat. Lay the apple slices on top of melted butter/brown sugar mixture decoratively.
- 5 Sprinkle the dried cranberries over the top and evenly drizzle remainder of whiskey; set aside.
- 6 In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and ground ginger. In another bowl, beat remainder of butter and sugar on high until light and fluffy.
- 7 Scrape down sides and add eggs; beat very well. Reduce speed to low and beat in the flour, a little at a time.
- 8 Beat in the milk mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter over apples and even out top without disturbing the apple arrangement.
- 9 Bake 35-40 minutes, or until the toothpick inserted in middle come out clean.
- 10 Cool cake in the pan for a couple of minutes and then run a knife around the edge of the pan to help release.
- 11 Invert onto a serving platter or plate quickly and carefully. Serve warm or at room temperature.