Steak Churrasco, a marinated steak that is popular within Brazilian barbecue, is best prepared on a skewer over an open grill. Don’t be intimidated, you can watch the video to learn the perfect technique, and in the end, you’ll have delicious Brazilian barbecue topped with a classic tomato and onion vinaigrette, served with a Brazilian inspired potato salad.
Want to see how it’s done? We have the video right here!
Thanks to the chefs at Rattan Direct for this recipe.
- For The Meat:
- 4 lb top rump joint
- For The Tomato and Onion Vinaigrette:
- 8 small ripe tomatoes, deseeded and finely diced
- ½ large red onion, finely diced
- 1 small bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- For The Potato Salad:
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed, cooked and cooled
- 5 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1/4 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 apple, chopped
- 3 sprigs mint, chopped
- Small handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 1/2 clove garlic, crushed
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 Mix together all the ingredients for the vinaigrette and set aside.
- 2 Mix together all the ingredients for the potato salad and set aside.
- 3 You need everything ready for when the meat goes on the fire; it goes pretty quickly once it’s on.
- 4 The barbecue itself needs to be hot, with enough coals to keep going for a while. It is handy to have a new pile of smoldering coals to add if the first lot should burn out too quickly. Pitmasters get a second lit chimney together so the fire van is kept at max temperature.
- 5 You need wide flat skewers for a piece of meat this size, pushed right through the center.
- 6 Once the fire is ready, with a good coat of white ash, place the skewers on the grill. Cook for several minutes on each side (4 sides, all round the joint) or until the outside is browned and sizzling.
- 7 Carve off the outside of the meat, season with salt and pepper, and either serve with the vinaigrette or spoon it over the meat.
- 8 Replace the meat over the fire, and continue until all is cooked and carved.