Baked vegetable dishes are a perennial potluck favorite and a staple of community cookbooks. This one combines a familiar green veggie with some delicious surprise ingredients: pecans for crunch and richness, and horseradish for spice.
Recipe courtesy of I Love Pecans
- 2 bags (10 ounces each) frozen broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper strips
- 1/2 cup Georgia pecan halves
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish sauce
- 1/4 cup dry coarse breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Fresh lemon juice to sprinkle
- 1 Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9-inch round baking dish or pie plate. Thaw broccoli in skillet over medium heat. Drain well. Transfer to bowl and add red pepper and pecans. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 2 In same skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Whisk in mayonnaise and horseradish sauce and cook over low, stirring, to make a smooth sauce. Pour sauce over broccoli, peppers, and pecans and stir gently to coat. Spread mixture in prepared baking dish; sprinkle with breadcrumbs and cheese. Dot with remaining tablespoon butter and bake on top rack in oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden. Serve warm.