Embrace the flavors of Thanksgiving with this recipe for Brussels Sprouts, Dried Cranberries, Caramelized Onion and a festive Sage Penne pasta.
It’s great as a Thanksgiving side, but it’s most certainly not a once-a-season dish. The Brussels sprouts and caramelized onion bring an earthy, spicy flavor to the pasta. The dried cranberries add some flavorful crunch!
Shared by Pasta Fits, the website of the National Pasta Association.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 pound (4 cups) sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons sliced sage leaves
- 1/4 cup (1/2 ounce) dried cranberries (preferrably no sugar added)
- 4 ounces penne pasta
- 2 cups (9 ounces) brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and all of the onions. Sprinkle with salt.
- 2 Slowly cook, stirring from time to time until golden (about 30 minutes). Stir in the sage leaves and cranberries.
- 3 While the onions are caramelizing, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the penne according to package directions. Drain and reserve.
- 4 Also while the onions are cooking, bring a small saucepan of salted water to a boil and cook the Brussels sprouts until just softened (about 5 minutes). Drain.
- 5 Remove the onion mixture from the pan to a bowl. Heat the same pan over medium high heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and sauté the Brussels sprouts until browned (about 3 minutes). Stir in the penne and the onion mixture.
- 6 Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.