Peanut Butter cookies have always been a favorite of mine since I was a tyke. The first commercial recipe was published right around WWI. Yes, long before my time, but I remember so well with that delicious aroma coming out of that aqua colored kitchen in my parents mid-century home. It seemed all summer long we had an endless supply of these coming out of the oven.
Traditionally you will see peanut butter cookies with a hashmark made with the tines of a chilled fork that has been impressed into the top of the cookie. The reasoning is to help flatten the dough down while it bakes due to its density, and give to it a pleasing design.
To follow along with The Bungalow Chef as he makes this wonderful treat, click here.
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 whole eggs room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- 2 In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the following items: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. (Set aside).
- 3 In a medium mixing bowl: combine the butter, peanut butter, white, and brown sugar and beat until fluffy.
- 4 Beat the two eggs together separately, and then blend with the butter and sugar mixture until smooth.
- 5 Add the dry mixture ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- 6 Portion dough into 1 1/4 inch balls, rolling hard within the palm of your hand, and then place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- 7 Repeat until all the dough is portioned and positioned on the baking sheets or parchment paper.
- 8 Place two dinner forks in a coffee mug filled with ice water.
- 9 Using the forks, make a hashmark or crisscross pattern.
- 10 Bake at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes, watching closely. (They can brown very fast).
- 11 Remove from the oven, and let set up 5 minutes before removing the cookies with a spatula and placing on a wire rack to cool.
- 12 These cookies are best served with a cold glass of milk!