A Canadian favorite with a twist—Canadian Split Pea Soup, Italian Style. If pancetta is too expensive, by all means, try other cured hams, or even boiled ham. I have used a new product from my deli called Italian Hot Ham, and the heat is absolutely perfect.
If you are wondering if there is a difference between Canadian split peas and green split peas… No, there is not. Other than the color, they are equally interchangeable in any recipe, including this one.
- 1 lb yellow or green split peas
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 4-8 ounces pancetta ham, diced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup pastina pasta, or any kind of mini pasta desired
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 It is as simple as placing all ingredients except salt and pepper (no need to sauté this and brown that) to a boil over medium-high heat
- 2 Stir well, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer at least 90 minutes, stirring once or twice for the first half of the cooking time
- 3 The last 45 minutes, you may want to stir more often because as it thickens, the "bulk" of the soup falls to the bottom and will scorch more readily
- 4 Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving
- 5 NOTE: This is one of those recipes that almost belong in a slow cooker. Simply place all ingredients in a 3 quart (or larger) crock pot, cover and allow to simmer the entire day. If you are home, stir every once in a while.